12 mars 2007

Battles - Mirrored (album)

16:46 Per: I haven't listened to the new Battles yet. I am kind of hesitant. And worried.
Michael: I think their vocals could be good. Ian's vocals were my favorite part of Storm and Stress and the Tyondai Braxton solo show I saw last summer was VERY vocal-heavy and was awesome.
P: Cool.
M: So i'm hopeful. I would like to think that the rest of the record will be better than that single.
P: It better be or else... I would be pretty sad.
[…]
16:57 P: OK, I am taking the plunge. The Battles record is on.
M: Do it!
16:58 P: First 90 seconds and I am smiling.
16:59 Still smiling... after 180 s.
M: This is good!
P: Ah, yes. "Atlas" is song no. 2. Perhaps there will be a instrumental version of it? Or a instrumental remix? It already is largely instrumental but those highest pitched vocals in particular are... not making it an easy song to totally like.
M: Haha
17:11 P: Wow, the 3rd song is pretty dense and rocking, but no super squeky vocals.
M: That's good!
P: Yes. Must hear again. *hits repeat*
M: I'll have to download it when I get home.
P: That dude drumming is a treat to listen to. Song #4 - no squeky singing.
M: Bueno
P: But no Storm and Stress singing either. Actually, it's mosty instrumental.
*next track*
Nice, traces of Don Cab riffing here. Sweet.
17:18 I am smiling again. Wow three +7 minute songs in a row.
M: That sounds about par for the course for Battles.
P: #5 is short. Good, weird and funny use of vocals here. Perhaps not the words anyone would like to read, but it's a < 3 minute ditty.
17:25 #6 is another epic, another thick one. As in opposite to sparse. Plus not entirely serious use of organ perhaps. Wow this song is all over the place will take time to get into. It becomes vocal heavy at the end. Good vocals though. Wow, how a 8 minute song can be over so quickly.
17:35 #7 is vocal heavy too. But over variety of loops and drones. A+. Very nice.
M: Squeaky vocals?
P: None, good vocals. But not of the Storm and Stress kind. I wonder how much Ian sings on the record, I don't think it sounds like him.
M: Hmm.
P: The vocals heavy songs are more full on singing, more like the what TV on the Radio would do. Kind of/sort of/in the same ballpark as of... but not the same, obviously.
M: Weird! I must hear this.
P: Second last song is classic Bttls.
17:43 I hope I haven't confused you horribly.
M: No man - thanks for the play-by-play. I have to log off this computer.
P: It's a solid record (for a first listen).
M: Awesome!
P: Less sparse than before, but solid.
M: I will see you tonight.
P: Yes, i have to go pick up J.
M: A'ight - later on!
P: I should have left already. Rats. ttyl

(Mirrored släpps 14:e maj, mer info + turnédatum finns hos Warp.

Inga kommentarer: